Re: Loadable kernel modules not unloadable

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 12:45:10AM -0800, hillbilly wrote:
> Just a question to Marc Perrudin...
> In directory /etc/ only have a modprobe.d/ directory.  Should the
> 'local' file be in there or should I create an /etc/modprobe.conf/
> directory as indicated in your response and place the 'local' file in
> that one instead?

I'll throw my 2 cents in to this thread, because I learned it the hard way...

Before 2.5.something kernel we used modutils. With modutils I edited a file
in the /etc/modutils/ directory and ran update-modules, which resulted
everything concatenated into the /etc/modules.conf file.

Since 2.5.something we use the module-init-tools instead of the modutils. With
the module-init-tools I edit a file in the /etc/modprobe.d/ directory and
that's it.

There is an alternative to editing a file in the /etc/modprobe.d/ directory.
The alternative is to put all the module stuff into the /etc/modprobe.conf
_file_. If the /etc/modprobe.conf file exists, then the /etc/modprobe.d/
directory is not read at all.

I'm not sure what would happen if you have a directory called
/etc/modprobe.conf/, since it is not mentioned in the man page.

See man modprobe.conf for more details...

HTH,
Simo
--
:r ~/.signature