Re: FAT patents. Do we need to revive non-US?

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Wednesday 11 January 2006 23:31, Mike McCarty wrote:

loos wrote:

[snip]

Debian is international, but like any other person juridic or physic
it can be sued for infringe a law in the country where it infringes
this law.

Or even in other countries. Noriega was arrested by US forces in
Panama, where he lived, for violating laws passed by the USA, which
he violated in Panama. He was then transported from Panama by US
forces, and tried on US soil, and put into a US jail.

And in other news, this is comparing a garter snake with a black mamba.
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Not at all. I was replying to the statement which seemed to
mean "If a law is a bad law, then we shouldn't obey it. Especially
if we live in another country." My point is that people get in
trouble for violating laws, whether anything thinks they are good
laws or not, and whether they live in the country where the
laws were passed.

I don't know enough about the Noriega case to know whether he
should be in jail.

Also, bear in mind that at one point, panama was our territory, but I'm

Nope. Never was. It was a part of Venezuela, and we helped it get
independence. We also leased the canal zone with a lease renewable
in perpetuity.

not sure if Noriega actually did some of his drug related stuff while it was still our territory. That may possibly have been one of the legal hooks they used to justify nailing that snake at the time.

WRT the patent, I have doubts that M$ will look at FOSS first when the more lucrative people to hit up for royalties are obviously all the camera makers & such, many of which are well aware of that patent, and are using fat emulations so old that some of fats more famous bugs are alive and well in these cameras. I have an Olympus that requires you

I haven't any evidence either way, but ISTM that it is reasonable
to presume, given what they have on their website, that they simply
really want to get money from people who ship pre-formatted media,
like USB discs, floppies, and Flash discs. Maybe cameras. I didn't
see anything that looked like they were targeting Linux.

[snip]

In other words, I'd wait and see how the wind blows before taking so drastic an action as to remove vfat support from our OS. The camera

The patents I saw didn't look like VFAT, they looked like LFN.

makers will of course drag this out till the friggin patent expires if they can. So I'd suspect we'll have plenty of advance notice.

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.