Re: FAT patents. Do we need to revive non-US?

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 23:31, Mike McCarty wrote:
>loos wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> Debian is international, but like any other person juridic or physic
>> it can be sued for infringe a law in the country where it infringes
>> this law.
>
>Or even in other countries. Noriega was arrested by US forces in
> Panama, where he lived, for violating laws passed by the USA, which
> he violated in Panama. He was then transported from Panama by US
> forces, and tried on US soil, and put into a US jail.

And in other news, this is comparing a garter snake with a black mamba.
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Also, bear in mind that at one point, panama was our territory, but I'm
not sure if Noriega actually did some of his drug related stuff while
it was still our territory.  That may possibly have been one of the
legal hooks they used to justify nailing that snake at the time.

WRT the patent, I have doubts that M$ will look at FOSS first when the
more lucrative people to hit up for royalties are obviously all the
camera makers & such, many of which are well aware of that patent, and
are using fat emulations so old that some of fats more famous bugs are
alive and well in these cameras.  I have an Olympus that requires you
remove files from its card in reverse order of the writing process
because if you remove the first 8 of any number of shots, the routine
see's an empty sector of disk and assumes thats the end of the
directory.  The "disk" is then both empty and invalidated because the
allocation maps don't equal empty disk, and the rest of the pix you
might want must be formatted away to recover use of the disk.

To me, thats smelly, green, warm and steaming in piles behind the mail
of the bovine specie.  And it really should be used as fertilizer to
write an even better workalike that isn't infringing in any way, like
the ogg vs mp3 saga.  Ogg's kick serious butt on mp3's acousticly.

In other words, I'd wait and see how the wind blows before taking so
drastic an action as to remove vfat support from our OS.  The camera
makers will of course drag this out till the friggin patent expires if
they can.  So I'd suspect we'll have plenty of advance notice.

>> For example : the US had a law against exporting cryptography from
>> the US, there fore we needed non-US based servers for those
>> products.

And which were flouted extensively, so extensively that they eventually
realized the folly of it.  I mean the horse was well and truely out of
the barn folks.  Again, good riddance to bad rubbish.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: