Re: Tar help

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 09:31, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 09:23:13AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> What version of tar? 1.14 is known to be busted, 1.13-19 and 1.13-25
>> are
>
>Ouch. How busted?  It seems to be the one in stable.  Are all my
> backups vapour?

I could be wrong, Hendrik, but ISTR there is something wrong with that
versions internal checksumming, so there is a possibility they could
be, as you said, vapour.

It didn't last long on the gnu site, a month maybe before it was
replaced by 1.15-1.  As to why its *still* in debian, where there is a
supposed pride in stability and workability, I have NDI.  I've been
using 1.15-1 with amandas latest snapshots as they come out for about a
year now, my locally built copy is dated Jan 16-2005.

It should have been removed from debian, and either 1.13-25, or 1.15-1
inserted in its place.

But I'm not running the show, I'm just an old fart that like things to
Just Work(TM).

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: