Wierd processor usage after 2.12 and 6.9

Hello all,

Since the last couple of days when I got the gnome 2.12 and X.org 6.9
upgrades, my machine has been acting a bit strangely. The processor
usages goes to 100% for simple tasks e.g. copying data from DVD to HDD
(it shouldn't use that much processor due to DMA), deleting a directory
containing about 1G data also resulted in 100% cpu usage for about
5-6seconds. It was definitely not doing that before the last upgrades.

Also, strangely the USB sticks/drive that I have can't be mounted
either. I always get the error that the file sytem couldn't be recognised!

Any light on the issues would be appreciated.
Thanks,
/ks