Re: FAT patents. Do we need to revive non-US?

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:41:57 -0600
Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:29:10 -0600
> > John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:

> >>No (that patent is not new).
> >

> > They can pry my FAT from my cold dead... ohhh, sorry, this isn't slashdot. ;)

> >>No.  The kernel probably infringes dozens, perhaps hundreds of patents.
> >>Debian's policy is to ignore patents in the absence of evidence that the
> >>owner is likely to enforce them on us.
> >

> > Unfortunately, my understanding is that M$ intends to enforce this patent. and its not clear to me whether the patent applies to drivers or to the act of writing a FAT system. If it applies to drivers, I think that linux FAT system is a clean-room creation and would probably be okay. If it applies to the act of writing a FAT system (talking outmy FAT *ss here) then nobody can write FAT with out paying their $0.25
>
> Which Patent? What is the date?

Stolen from Cnet talkback posting:

According to http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/ip/tech/fat.asp they are talking about 3 Patents U.S. Patent #5,579,517, U.S. Patent #5,758,352, & U.S. Patent #6,286,013

they are dated 1996, 1998 and 2001 respectively. I'm too lazy to read them, but here are the links

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5,579,517.WKU.&OS=PN/5,579,517&RS=PN/5,579,517

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5,758,352.WKU.&OS=PN/5,758,352&RS=PN/5,758,352

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,286,013.WKU.&OS=PN/6,286,013&RS=PN/6,286,013