Re: Ubuntu to Debian

Brooks R. Robinson wrote:

Greetings oh most knowledgeable list,
I recently purchased a new fancy schmancy Dell a couple of months ago, and I have been delinquent in installing Linux on it. So, I recently purchased an additional hard drive and attempted to put Debian on it (as God intended). Sarge didn't want to recognize my hardware and Sid just plain crapped out. I tried to do a Knoppix install, but I don't like their one big partition methodology. I ended up putting the base "server" install of Ubuntu 5.10 "The Breezy Badger" on it (which was also quite the pain the the keester, for the record I hate initrd). So I have a semi-usable system, finally accomplished last night. Now for the question: Can I, without too much heartburn, upgrade my install the Etch or Sid? Is it as simple as changing my sources.list, doing and apt-get update and an apt-get dist-upgrade? I'm sure I'll end up with a bunch of cruft, but I'd rather be on Debian proper than Ubuntu. Any thoughts would be helpful. Please CC me as I am not on the list. Thanks, Brooks

Just to put my 2 cents in.

I remember when Ubuntu was still in an earlier phase (about a year ago), I did just what you wanted to do. But in order to do it, I used the package manager to strip out pretty much everything. Then I rewrote sources.list to point to debian package lists, apt-get update, apt-get install dpkg, apt and apt-utils. Then apt-get update. Then I chose the packages I wanted and installed them.

Something like that. Everything else I tried resulted in so many dependency problems, as I recall.

Good luck!

Curtis