Problem mounting 2GB SD card in USB card reader

Hi,

I'm running Debian 3.1 and have been using a couple of 512MB SD cards in
my USB card reader without any problems. I'm running the standard 2.4
kernel and have the following in /etc/fstab:

/dev/sdc1       /media/mmc      vfat    rw,user,noauto  0       0

When I do:

mount /media/mmc

the SD card mounts fine, and dmesg shows:

SCSI device sdc: 1002496 512-byte hdwr sectors (513 MB)
sdc: Write Protect is off
 /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun2: p1

I've recently bought a 2GB SD card, which seems to work fine (at least
as far as my Treo 600 is concerned). However, when I put it in the card
reader and try to mount it, the process hangs (the system is fine, it's
just that process which seems unkillable - I'm writing this with the
system in this state) and dmesg shows:

SCSI device sdc: 2031616 1024-byte hdwr sectors (2080 MB)
sdc: Write Protect is off
 /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun2:<6>usb.c: USB disconnect on device
 00:07.2-2address 2
 hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-2, assigned address 3
 WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
 USB Mass Storage device found at 3

I've tried running:

mkdosfs /dev/sdc1

which works fine with a 512MB card but produces a similar process hang
with the 2GB card.

I tried using the 2.6.8 kernel but when I installed it and rebooted, my
system seemed to encounter a kernel panic - I have to admit I haven't
investigated this in any great detail.

I don't have any other operating systems installed so I can't tell if my
card reader is somehow incompatible with 2GB cards, but I tried booting
off an old version of Knoppix (3.6 2004-08-16) which I had lying around.
Under that I can't seem to manage to mount even my 512MB card, so that
wasn't much help.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, and apologies if I somehow
managed to miss any advice on this when I searched the debian-user
archives.

Steve