Re: cups - samba - frustration!

Am Dienstag, 10. Januar 2006 12.10 schrieb Clive Menzies:
> On (10/01/06 08:53), Angela Gavazzi wrote:
> > I think I'm doing some idiot error, but I can't find it - or it's a
> > library problem or something else.
>
> Not sure this will be much help but here goes ...
>
> > I have a sarge system, samba 3.0.20 from testing (also tried samba
> > version from sarge) and tried cups in all versions: 1.0.23.10/12/15
> > (sarge,testing,unstable).
> > Samba is member server in an NT4 domain (need to move the printserver to
> > migrate the domain), authentication through winbind, all works on samba.
> > Can make shares, put data into it, robocopy data from windows to it with
> > the correct acls.
> > I can install printers in cups, can print from Linux, all is ok.
>
> Samba 3.0.14a-3 and Cupsys 1.1.23-10 work fine on our sarge servers
> serving Windows (XP, 2000 and 98), Mac and Linux clients.  I don't
> believe you will gain much from using the etch versions unless there is
> specific functionality you're after that isn't available in sarge.
Sure but it's not better with the sarge version, I had this at first and tried
the other later, as I couldn't get it running.

> I haven't yet cracked centralised authentication and so the setups we
> have are simpler in many respects.  Nonetheless it is worth referring to
>
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing.html
I will have a look at it.

> if you haven't already.
>
> > When I try to prepare the printerdrivers for the windows clients with
> > cupsaddsmb "nothing" happens: no error message, "Printer added
> > successfully" but not drivers copied to print$ share, no updates from
> > ntprinters.tdb, nothing.
> >
> > I just put a post here about 10 days ago, but nobody ansered, the same on
> > samba and cups list.
>
> At the risk of asking a dumb question, have you set up the windows
> driver sharing within smb.conf?
sure [print$] [printers] and necessary permissions. On the post from 2 1. 06
16.17 I attached all the configs if you like to see them

> Also can you print from windows printer setting it up with a driver
> sourced from somewhere other than the server?
do you meen from windows client to the printer connected to cups with a
locally installed driver? Or do you meen if I loaded the windows driver to
the server via windows printer wizard?

> Regards
>
> Clive
thanks!