From: Victor Munoz [mailto:vmunoz@macul.ciencias.uchile.cl]
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 1:32 AM
To: debian-user
Subject: Can't detect CD-ROM in IBM T43

Hello. I've seen this question posted in many forums, but every idea I've
tried after reading the solutions simply doesn't work for me. I'm running
Sid in an IBM T43, but cdrom is not detected at all. According to
http://kerneltrap.org/node/3971, a possible solution is to make a new initrd
image, where ide modules are loaded before the ata_piix module. That didn't
work for me. I tried exactly what the posting said: Added

ide-generic
ata_piix
sd_mod

to /etc/mkinitrd/modules, then mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img.2.6.15-1.686,
then reboot. Nothing new. Not really knowing what to do,
I tried other combinations:

1)
ide-generic
cdrom
ata_piix
sd_mod

2)
ide_generic
ata_piix
sd_mod

3)
ide-generic
ide-cd
ata_piix

4)
ide-generic
ide-core
ide-cd
ata_piix

Anyway, in the last attempt I removed all modules in these files, made a new
initrd image... and the system would not boot! The only solution was to
uninstall/reinstall image 2.6.15-1

I have also tried modifying /etc/modules, inserting ata_piix after the ide
modules already there:

ide-cd
ide-disk
ide-generic
ata_piix
psmouse
sd_mod

Didn't work. It seems as if /etc/modules is completely ignored. Knoppix
4.0.2, for instance, does recognize the CD, and the ide modules are loaded
before ata_piix, but I haven't found out how to force that in my case.

Any help? Thanks,

    	  	 			Victor