Re: Back to original topic [Was: [Poll: debian-newcomer list [Was: Re: newbies needing help for graphic login]]

On Tuesday, 10 January 2006 at  4:35:22 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
[...]
> It seems pretty clear that subscribers of this list don't
> want/need/... a debian-newcomer list.
>
> Ok, then let's get back to the original topic of this thread: the
> "help help" messages won't stop (and we don't want them to stop) so
> what can we do? I'll try to summarize the suggestions we have already:
>
> 1. Rewriting the welcome message coupled with some scripts to quickly
>    install a GUI (for the ones who missed the option) or get rid of the
>    newbie welcome

and/or, as I suggested on the near-parallel thread "Linux Distribution
Chooser", another little tweak:

 1b. Altering tasksel section of installer to split the tasks into two
     pages, one for desktop and one for everything else, each preceded
     by a page of explanation (to make it more difficult for a neophyte
     to slip up).

> 2. Officially label Debian "For advanced users only" (maybe also point
>    at alternatives?)

> 3. Have the 'Desktop' task selected by default (and
>    maybe add some warnings to unselecting it). A reboot or "start gdm"
>    (at least as a default option which can be changed) at that point
>    might also be a good idea as base-config exits to a shell.

> 4. incorporate the hardware detection of derivative distros (like
>    Knoppix). This would probably be possible only for the i386 branch
>    (maybe also ia64/amd64?), but this branch is also the one that will
>    receive the most newbies.

> I hope i didn't miss something

Thanks for the summary, Andrei.

--