My Wireless Troubles

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite A70 laptop, Atheros (built-in AR5212 wireless card), madwifi-ng (I do not know when the CVS is from), 2.6.14-686-smp, Pentium 4 H-T, Sid, KDE 3.5.

Problem 1: Every now and again, I am disconnected -- in some way. I do not know how. I do know that if I type in iwconfig ath0 essid My_ESSID, it works. I should like to give you more information, but I know not where to find it.

Problem 2: Every time I boot in to Linux, I must execute the following command: wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta. Now, according to http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/Distro/Debian, I can make a script, namely
#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/bin/wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta
/sbin/iwpriv ath0 mode 3

exit 0
which then is to be placed as /etc/network/madwifi, made executable. Finally, the following lines are to be added to the /etc/network/interfaces
iface ath0 inet static
pre-up /etc/network/madwifi
all of which I did. It doesn't work. I still have to execute the command to get an ath0 device.

Problem 3: I use KWiFiManager to connect. To do so, I must enter the module Wireless Network in the Control Centre (via KWiFiManager). I have saved the configuration (namely, the ESSID, the Operation Mode, the Speed, the script to execute upon connection and the WEP-Key.) and ticked the box that says Load preset configuration on startup. Well, that certainly doesn't work. I have to manually bring up the ath0 (via that there command) and, unless I hit the activate button in the Wireless Network module, ifconfig claims that ath0 is not up. In addition, hitting Scan for Networks in the KWiFiManager shows me networks. But, when I try to switch to one with a WEP, it says that it is Aborting network switching due to invalid WEP key specification. This network is my own, fo which I have provided a valid WEP key specification in the Wireless Network Control Centre Module.

That's basically it. How do I solve these problems?

I thank you kindly in advance for any assistance.

Cheers.

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.