Re: Immortal processes [was: mc not loading and not dying (sid)]

>> [processes in kernel I/O]
>
> What are options to use in NFS to avoid that?  I've had problems before where
> I had to reboot the NFS server and NFS on the clients would not let me kill
> it or remount the shares.  I'd have to reboot the client to be able to
> remount the shares.  (And rebooting always seems like such a pain -- I guess
> when you hardly ever do something, it's a big deal when you have to!)

Hi,

well, if one of the NFS server processes locks up, you most probably won't
get around rebooting the server (one NFS server I administer has its lockd
getting stuck time and again)... but you can avoid having to reboot the
clients. Check the manpages of mount(8) and nfs(5), especially
regarding the mount options soft/hard and intr/nointr. The combinations
soft or hard,intr will enable you to abort blocking NFS operations, but
consider that this might lead to other problems (because then your software
has to cope with EIO errors from NFS operations).

Regards,

Jan

--
Jan C. Nordholz