Re: apt ignores apt.conf settings

Where did you find those settings for "APT::Periodic"?  I've never heard of
them, and my searches turned up dry.  Are you expecting that setting those
will cause apt-get or aptitude to automatically download new packages?  I
don't think that's the case; something has to actually execute the commands
to download--apt isn't a daemon.

For authentication, a better solution would be to add the keys to apt's
keyring; by working around it you're throwing out the security it offers.

For the default release, well, I don't know about "APT::Default-Release",
but I know that pinning in /etc/apt/preferences works.