Re: Is there a GPL substitute for RealPlayer?

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 08:15:35AM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 01:47:43PM -1000, Bryan G wrote:
> > i found this, I haven't installed it yet but it claims to replace realplayer
> > without the problems of realplayer taking over your PC
> > http://www.codecguide.com/download_real.htm
>
> Looked at the site.  It seems to be Windows software.
>
> --hendrik

Go to the home site for mplayer.

Download the all* package for Linux of Windows and other codecs.

As root, create a directory in /usr/lib called /usr/lib/win32

Unpack the codecs into it. [I copied the all*codecs.tar.bz there,
unpacked it, creating an all*codecs directory, changed into that
directory and copied everything to the level above].

Now run either/both of

apt-get install kaffeine  [Optionally apt-get install libdvdread and
run the installer script found in /usr/share/docs/examples/ if you
want to install the libdvdcss libraries to play encrypted DVD's]

apt-get install helix-player mozilla-helix-player

Tell mozilla to associate .ram files with either /usr/bin/kaffeine
or /usr/bin/helixplayer