Re: newbies needing help for graphic login

On (06/01/06 12:18), Andy Streich wrote:
> I really appreciate this topic and am delighted to see experienced Debian
> users responding positively to the "help, help" emails.  Andrew's question is
> the critical one:  is Debian for newbies or not?  From my own experience over
> the last couple of years I'd say it is not -- unless the newbie has strong
> technical skills and lots and lots of time to read manuals and this email
> list and getting the system up-and-running quickly is not critical.  Without
> a prior Unix/Linux background or the dedicated help of a local expert, you
> have to approach Debian at the very least as a time consuming, very technical
> hobby.

I disagree about strong technical skills but you need some time and
motivation to learn.   The 'new' sarge installer it is a lot easier
than installing woody.

> I think many in the community would say, "But that's as it should be.  If you
> don't have the dedication to figure things out, go to another distro, stick
> with Windows, or buy a Mac."  To me that's short sighted.  If Debian is to
> remain vital, it needs to keep attracting new users.

It clearly does attract new users, often those who've tried a derivative
distro but want something more.  That said, it would be nigh on
impossible to satisfy all potential users; however, between the range of
derivative distros and debian itself, most needs are covered.

> In addition to the other suggestions on how to improve the newbie experience,
> I would add creating yet another mailing list specifically for people trying
> to establish a stable installation.  Like other diehards on this list I can
> filter 150 emails/day.  That's not true for all and a newbie especially.

I've never filtered the list mail (incl. boot, powerpc and user) because
I learn so much from reading about other people's problems and
solutions.  As a newbie, most of it went over my head but over time,
much of it began to make sense.

Regards

Clive

--