Re: setting up Debian Linux from scratch

On (06/01/06 18:04), Cold Fusion wrote:
> Sorry if this is in fact included in the install manual, but I have a
> computer I'd like to install Debian on, it's presently got windows, and I
> don't like that - I'm going to uninstall it. But then how do I install
> linux? I've got the CD, and help would be appreciated. Thanks

Most of the information you need is in the install manual but...

It's best to do a netinstall if you have a fast internet connection and
it is worth downloading Knoppix or another 'live' CD which will enable
you to access all your hardware information in advance of the install:

http://www.knoppix.org/

The information you will need relates primarily to the graphics card and
display.

When you are ready to install download the sarge netinst.iso CD for
i386:
http://www.us.debian.org/releases/sarge/debian-installer/

Boot from the CD and follow the instructions - mostly you can accept the
defaults.

You may find these additional notes useful:
http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk/selfhelp/desktop.html

Finally, if you struggle with the install, you could try ubuntu or
kubuntu instead.

Regards

Clive

--