Re: [Way OT] "#!/bin/bash" changes working directory

Dear all,

Roland wrote:
/bin/sh exists for compatability with the legacy Bourne shell and does not provide bash-specific features. In APP 1 I had a ~bash_cmd_rc file with some output in the BASH_ENV, and it is ignored by /bin/sh, even if /bin/sh is a softlink to /bin/bash on my machine.
(....)

Interesting!  Thanks for the example!

Roland wrote:
I think BASH_ENV is unset by default. It allows you to have a common initialisation file for every non-interactive bash invokation. Setting it to the same rc file as for interactive shells should be a call for trouble IMHO.

And John Hasler wrote:
Luis writes:
That does answer my question, but it did not work, likely because I have
$BASH_ENV set to my .bashrc..

Why?

That was the difference between my home computer (running debian) and this one at work (Fedora). I thought it was the difference in some more "general" configuration, but it was just that BASH_ENV was set in the .bash_profile that was default here. Since it had some local things like $PRINTER, etc., I never changed it much... For some reason, that I do not know, they had also "export BASH_ENV=$HOME/.bashrc". I've commented it out now. Thanks!

I just wanted to thank all for the help! Not only solved my problem, but I also learned quite a few new things.

Best to all,

Luis