Re: about vlc and libmodplug0

Sinan Nalkaya wrote:

> hi,
> I am using Debian Etch, i want to install vlc, then i got this error

>   vlc: Depends: libmodplug0 (>= 1:0.7-1) but it is not going to be
> installed
> E: Broken packages
>
> after that i try to install libmodplug0 but i am noticed that, apt wants
> to remove the Gnome and gnome environment.
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   gnome gnome-desktop-environment libmodplug0c2 libxine1 totem
> totem-xine
>
> even i compile the vlc from its source i need libmodplug, how can i
> install that without removing gnome.

I'm still a relative newbie to Debian, but I think the problem stems from
the fact that there is not a vlc package in testing.  Are you trying to
install vlc from Sarge or unstable?  It looks like you're trying to use the
version from Sarge, but that version is old.  Try the version from
unstable.

If you still have problems, it probably needs some newer libs than you have
in testing.  To fix that, you can probably just compile the package
yourself.  Use apt-src, like this:

$ mkdir vlc-src
$ cd vlc-src
$ apt-src -b install vlc
$ sudo dpkg -i vlc*.deb

However, there is another problem: there is no source package for vlc in
unstable.  I have no idea why, and packages.debian.org is down right now.
Maybe some Googling would reveal the answer, but right now I don't feel
like digging for that.  :)

Unfortunately, compiling the version in Sarge also seems problematic.
Trying to 'apt-get build-dep vlc/stable' complains about libhal-dev, but
that source package doesn't even specify a version of libhal-dev, and even
after installing libhal-dev, dpkg-buildpackage doesn't like it.

I don't know what's going on with vlc right now.  What I do know is that I
have the version from unstable installed and working.  I'm afraid you may
have to bite the bullet and install vlc from unstable, which will probably
bring some other dependencies with it, which may require upgrading some
other packages.

Or, you could A) try to work around the problem with the Sarge version's
build dependencies, which may be possible; or B) download the source from
VideoLAN and try to compile it manually, which I would recommend finishing
up with checkinstall, rather than letting the build system install it for
you.

Hm...not so simple is it?  It shouldn't be this hard.  I would guess that
the vlc package is going through some kind of transition, but a more
concrete answer is probably out there somewhere.

What do I recommend?  I would just go ahead and install the version from
unstable, and whatever else it requires, unless there's some reason you
can't upgrade whatever else it wants to upgrade.  If that is not viable,
try option B (remembering that you'll need to manually install some -dev
packages to compile it).  If that doesn't work, try option A (also
requiring some manual intervention).

Of course, the other, other option is to use a different video player.
Kaffeine is pretty nice with the Xine backend; its hotkey support is pretty
good for full-screen use.  Then there's MPlayer, etc.

Whew!  Hope this helps somehow.  Maybe a more veteran user will chime in and
render all this moot.  :)