Re: newbies needing help for graphic login

On Thursday,  5 January 2006 at 16:11:49 +0200, Linas Zvirblis wrote:
> Richard Lyons wrote:

[...]
> >What I have in mind is that the new installer could rewrite the welcome
> >text to say something like
> >
> >    This is a new install of
> >    Debian GNU/Linux stable thisbox tty1
> >
> >    If you expected to get a graphic logon and desktop,
> >    please login as root and run "makemegraphic"
> >
> >    Otherwise, run "installdone" to get rid of this message.
> >
> >    thisbox login: _
> >
> >Improvements?  Disagreement?  Consensus?
[...]
> This is a very interesting approach, but I am afraid it is even more
> confusing to the new users. Also, this (booting into X by default)
> should be done (and is done?) by default if the user chooses Desktop
> during install. i

It seems clear from the number of cries for help (remembering that
probably even more first-timers probably just give up and revert to suze
or doze) that it is quite easy to just misunderstand or mess up and fail
to select the desktop.  I've done that myself once recently, and not my
first use of the installer by any means!

[...]

> There was a discussion about this in debian-devel some
> time ago, and the proposed solution was something like asking a user to
> choose from "KDE Desktop" and "GNOME Desktop" during install. Not sure
> what the conclusion was (or was there none?), but this problem will be
> solved in the next Debian release one way or another.

That sounds good.

> On the other hand, what you propose could be implemented as a fallback
> in case a user manages to misconfigure something and X fails to start

Or more likely still, they just miss it, hit the wrong key, (for example
select say 'mail server' and accidentally press enter before selecting
'desktop' or worksation or whatever it is).  I am really just thinking
of a painless method of hand-holding for those who get a command line
for the first time in their life. And just when they are feeling least
secure.

> (this is already done by at least GDM by some degree). If you are
> familiar with what is going on in development of the latest Debian
> Installer and feel that your way is somewhat better, I suggest you post
> your ideas to debian-devel.

I'm not familiar, and don't really have time to become familiar, but I
can drop the idea in once I've heard the feedback here.  I don't really
want to alter the installer, so much as to suggest an extra long-stop
helper for folk that have given it an honest try and don't understand
what went wrong, or appreciate that they almost made it.

--
richard