Mouse not working on IBM ThinkCentre

There remain always some problem with Kernel 2.6.8-2-386. With this it used to be very slow. So, I was using this PC to my satisfaction with Kernel 2.4.27-2-386. Unforunately, I updated and upgraded every thing (including unstable, Contrib etc). With this mouse stop working in X under Kernel 2.4, so now I have to work with Kernel 2.6. But, in this system hangs, and some time unplugging and plugging mouse and keyboard solve the problem. Can I remove this problem.

Since It is known that 2.6 is not working properly with IBM ThinkCentre, so I am willing to use 2.4. How I can make mouse working. I tried varous options while reconfiguring X, but fail to achieve desired results.

With all configuration file same, jist changing Kernel, can it make devices not to work? If that is that case, what are the options which I can try.

Or, what is the way to uninstall all unstable packages, and to have only stable packages?

Thanks in advance.

--
H.S.Rai