Re: MTA slow to start

Thanks everyone for your responses. At present I've switched it off using init scripts, following advice received off-list.

I'm still not clear on the purpose of exim4. I understand that the system will on occassion send me a message, but in several months on Sarge this has never happened. I get all my mail via a pop account - does exim4 know my address? I've never configured anything that I'm aware of that would do this. Or does mail get sent somewhere else? Or maybe mail is sent so rarely that I just haven't had any yet...

Thanks again,

Tyler

Tyler Smith wrote:

During boot up it takes about 30 seconds for MTA to start for my Etch install. With Sarge on the same box this takes less than a second. Can I fix this somehow? I'm running a single desktop computer, connected via an NIC through a router to highspeed DSL, and I get all my mail from pop accounts with Thunderbird. Do I even need an MTA?

Thanks,

Tyler