Re: Trouble LVM: pvcreate to usb disk managed by udev

    Andy> Hi, In article <[🔎] 87r77nk7nn.fsf@athene.jamux.com>,
    Andy> John A. Martin<jam@jamux.com> wrote:
    >>> As root:
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ pvcreate /dev/sdc ]
    >>>   Device /dev/sdc not found.
    >>> `----

    Andy> Doesn't this need to be done on a partition, rather than the
    Andy> disk itself?

Indeed!  Thank you very much.

    jam> ,----[ Excerpt: man PVCREATE ] DESCRIPTION
    jam>        pvcreate initializes PhysicalVolume for later use by
    jam>        the Logical Volume Manager (LVM).  Each PhysicalVolume
    jam>        can be a disk partition, whole disk, meta device, or
    jam>        loopback file.
    jam> `----

    jam> ,----[ Excerpt: LVM-HOWTO ] 11.1. Initializing disks or disk
    jam> partitions
[[ Saying the same thing ]]

It seems that the following just work.

        # pvcreate /dev/sdc1
        # vgcreate vg1 /dev/sdc1
        # lvcreate -l 1 -n test vg1
        # mkfs.ext3 -L test /dev/vg1/test

    jam> Maybe I misunderstand the above?

I still don't understand what the man page and HOWTO say about the
whole disk.

        jam