Re: Trouble LVM: pvcreate to usb disk managed by udev

    Andy> Hi, In article <[🔎] 87r77nk7nn.fsf@athene.jamux.com>,
    Andy>            John A. Martin<jam@jamux.com> wrote:
    >> As root:
    >>
    >> ,----[ pvcreate /dev/sdc ]
    >>   Device /dev/sdc not found.
    >> `----

    Andy> Doesn't this need to be done on a partition, rather than the
    Andy> disk itself?

,----[ Excerpt: man PVCREATE ]
DESCRIPTION
       pvcreate initializes PhysicalVolume for later use by the
       Logical Volume Manager (LVM).  Each PhysicalVolume can be a
       disk partition, whole disk, meta device, or loopback file.
`----

,----[ Excerpt: LVM-HOWTO ]
11.1. Initializing disks or disk partitions

  Before you can use a disk or disk partition as a physical volume you
will have to initialize it:

  For entire disks:

  *   Run pvcreate on the disk:
    # pvcreate /dev/hdb

    This creates a volume group descriptor at the start of disk.

  *   If you get an error that LVM can't initialize a disk with a partition
    table on it, first make sure that the disk you are operating on is the
    correct one. If you are very sure that it is, run the following:

    Warning DANGEROUS
            The following commands will destroy the partition table on the
            disk being operated on. Be very sure it is the correct disk.
    # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/diskname bs=1k count=1
    # blockdev --rereadpt /dev/diskname
`----

Maybe I misunderstand the above?  I'm sure I misunderstand something!

        jam