Re: Unable to install custom kernel

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 07:41:50PM +1100, Yasir Assam wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I managed to fix it by installing initramfs-tools, though I don't
> pretend to understand why it happened.
>
> Any explanations would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Yasir

I suspect the problem is that not all initrd tools work with all
kernels.  In particular, the list of allowable tools for the 2.6.14
kernels doesn't include the old initrd.  I think that's because the
old tool doesn't work without devfs, and devfs has been dropped from
the kernel as of 2.6.13 or .14 (having been deprecated for a long
time).

The initrd tools, and the default choice of tool, is in rapid flux at
the moment, from what I can tell.  For example, I read that 2.6.14 was
using one of yaird/initramfs and 2.6.15 will use the other!

Ross