Re: X server issue

On (04/01/06 15:56), David Pead wrote:
> I managed to install Sarge on OldWorld Mac - beige G3. Everything 'was'
> fine. Then after an attempt to add screen resolutions higher than 800x600,
> I've knackerd the X window server.
>
> After looking through the archives I, rightly or wrongly, used:
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
> After looking through a very old O'rielly book on Debian, I also tried
> using:
> XF86config

If you look at the XF86-Config file you will see in the comments that
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 won't work if you've manually edited
the conf file.  It also gives step by step instructions on how to move
your manually edited file so that you can rerun
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

This is about one of the trickiest aspects of configuring debian but by
no means insurmountable.  Once you've got it working at 800X600, google
around for resolution settings for your G3.

You would also be better subscribed to debian-powerpc

If it's any consolation, I and a number of others have successfully
installed on a beige G3.

Regards

Clive

--