Re: 2 eth and boot

On 1/3/06, Enrique Morfin <enriquemorfin@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Happy new year!
>
> I have a box with 2 eth (1 intel, 1 3com)
>
> each time it boot, eth0 and eth1 are different:
>
> boot one: intel=eth0 3com=eth1
> boot two: intel=eth1 3com=eth0
>
> well, not alwais change, it seams to be random.
>
> How i make to alwais be the same?

Warning: Hack follows.

You could try installing 'ifrename' and then create a startup script
that calls it before the interfaces are brought up. I'd suggest
finding the hardware address of each nic and then naming the
interfaces after them in some way (ie: eth00132096C267). Then there'd
be no doubt which interface was which.

Of course, it could be a real pain if you ever installed a new NIC.

Maybe it'd be better to use 'lspci' to decide the name of the NIC. I
dunno. Lots of options here.