Re: New kernel unable to mount/see a whole HD

On Mon, January 2, 2006 9:39 am, J.F. Gratton wrote:
> (I must first start by apologizing if you've seen this post twice in
> 12hrs.. I've had problems here with my smtp; not sure it went well)
>
> Hello,
>
> I've been unable to access any partition on /dev/hda since I've compiled
> my own kernel 2.6.14.5 . I'm currently running 2.6.12-10.
>
> I want to get rid of initrd and compile my own kernels (I've done it for
> a long time, it's just that since Deb 3.0 rX I have been a bit lazy and
> let the OS install new ones when new ones were available).
>
> Now, on /dev/hda I have all my "foreign" OS partitions (ntfs and vfat
> filesystems, as well as UFS -for solaris).
>
> For the life of me, I can't see any pertinent changes between my two
> kernel configs (provided in attachments) that might give the slightest
> clue as to why kernel-2.6.12 (dpkg-provided) will mount /dev/hda* and
> why kernel-2.6.14.5 (user-compiled) won't.
>
> The console won't spew any error messages concerning the missing vfat
> partitions. If I manually try to mount them (say.. mount -t
> vfat /dev/hdb6 /mnt/temp-mountpoint), I get a "/dev/hda6 : device busy".
> So I guess it "knows" that /dev/hdb6 exists, right ?
>
> It's not a question of filesystems not being included in modules/kernel;
> there are vfat partitions on /dev/hdb and those are being seen and
> mounted. I insist on the fact that *everything* works just fine with
> 2.6.12 but not with 2.6.14.5.
>
> Anyhow.. I'm stumped, can't see why it won't go ok with 2.6.15.4, if
> anyone can help me out with the files attached, just go ahead, please :)
>
> Regards, and best wishes for 2k6 !
>
> -- Jeff

This may seem a bit obvious, but did you try to copy config-currentkernel that
relates to your old install (from /boot), rename it to .config and put it into
your source path for the new kernel.  That should give you the exact same
config that you are currently using.  Then you could just run the configure
program (make menuconfig) for the kernel to select or unselect any other
features.  Then save the new .config file.  In this way you can verify that
your previously known good config is the one you are using.  I have complied
lots of kernel's, however have only had problems when I try to create a
.config from scratch.