Re: debian and audio software

> I just wondered how well developed audio software for Debian is.
> I am familiar with Audacity (Win) but wondered how much else there is
> available and how far development has gotten.
> I am thinking more in terms of complete DAW packages not simple players or
> basic editors,

For DAW work it's almost certainly Ardour and Jamin (and the infrastructure
application JACKit, sometimes also called just JACK) that you're interested
in.  See

http://www.ardour.org/
http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/about.html
http://jackit.sourceforge.net/

All three have official Debian packages available, but most people who
are doing serious DAW work are in all likelihood running CVS of some or
all of these (Ardour at least) to take advantage of the latest features
and fixes.

Beyond that, there are samplers and sequencers, drum machines and
synthesizers, many of which are of pretty high quality and are
JACK compatible.  For a long list of available apps on Linux (not
all of which will have official Debian packages available), see:

http://linux-sound.org/one-page.html

Consider also subscribing to the Linux Audio Users mailing list:

http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/subscribelau.php

There are lots of Linux pro-audio-related pages out there; Googling
should turn them up.

HTH.

-c