Re: removing autofs from sarge installation [solved]

On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 04:35:14PM -0500, Chris Howie wrote:
> Paul E Condon wrote:
> > /etc/init.d/autofs: Unknown system, please port and contact autofs@linux.kernel.org
>
> This message shows up if neither /etc/debian_version nor /etc/redhat-release
> exist.  On a working debian system, the first file should exist and contain the
> version number of the debian release, or "testing/unstable" if running testing
> or unstable.

For reasons lost in history, my system did not have a file /etc/debian_version on it.
I looked at the init.d script. It only tests for the existence of the file so I did

# touch /etc/debian_version

and the error messages went away. And, autofs is working, so far as I can tell.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net