Re: 10 second startup for emacs on system with 1GB ram Athlon64 3200. postgresql shared memory issues. vi ok immediate

OOps: The problem was that emacs was doing a reverse dns  lookup or something.

The clue was "10 seconds".

As soon as I put the hostname and ip in /etc/hosts emacs went back to
immediate.

I have never been able to configure a local caching dns server on debian with
bind. I dont know how, despite  all the reading I have done. So  I just
fix /etc/hosts
which is of course the dumb way.

On the other hand on my main machine, I do have a 5 second startup delay of
emacs while it does all sorts of things that I know nothing about:
such things as

ede-speedbar

semantic-idle

flash by in the minibuffer. What  in the world is that?
How to dispense with it?

Mitchell