Re: [root user] How to disable root account?

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:34:37 +0000 Dick Davies <rasputnik@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Then you can add them to the wheel group and give them a root
>> shell that way. Meanwhile you can update the root password
>> without any problem.

> What would be the point of updating the root password in this case?

In our case there are a couple of dozens of sysadmins that
want to have root access on their local box and six or eight
sysadmins that do the operation of these workstations
(and some 200 servers in their spare time). The latter six or
eight people have the root password to do remote stuff.

As mentioned before, they could work with sudo and service
accounts for login too. But we do not do it that way.

Six or eight people with the root password makes a good
reason to update it regularly.

>> Ubuntu follows this road a bit further by setting a random root
>> password nobody actually knows.

> That's untrue, and would be a very bad idea.

Seems i am following a myth here. I must have read it
during last winter in the ubuntu forum.
http://ubuntuforums.org/printthread.php?t=31053

I sure saw it last week on zdnet:
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,39024175,39237493,00.htm