Graphire3 under debian sarge

I'm having trouble installing my Graphire3 Wacom Tablet. I've installed wacom-kernel-modules-2.4.27-2-386 after having it compiled by wacom-kernel-source, and I have installed wacom-tools, but even after a reboot my tablet seems only to be recognized as a regular USB mouse. I'm using discover1 (not udev), and I don't know how to go about making this work. I might also add that my regular mouse is plugged in as a USB mouse.