Re: OT: Small business financial software

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 01:44:23PM -0500, Allan Wind wrote:
> On 2005-11-29T12:08:33-0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 10:58 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > > I will be shortly starting a small business.  I am wondering what
> > > software (preferrably available via apt-get/aptitude/etc.)  other small
> > > business owners/consultants out there use to keep track of business
> > > finances.  [...]
> >
> > SQL Ledger.
>
> I could not get it installed without hacking the code (hard codes the
> apache configuration file), and even then some things not work.  The
> author sells documentation, but otherwise the project is undocumented.

Good to know.

> Roberto, you should know how to use apt-cache to search for
> applications, and then check out freshmeat.net or sourceforge.net if you
> need t olook further.

I have looked as you suggest, before asking my question.  However, I was
interested in knowing people's experience/insight.  I found gnucash and
a couple of others, but without having spent significant amounts of time
using them.  I was hoping to get some pointers from people here on the
list.

> I found fat applications (i.e. not web based) and/or projects in java,
> neither option was compelling to me.
>

> /Allan

-Roberto

--