Re: ASUS extreme ax600xt-td cannot get it to work!

Leslie Jensen wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I'm new to Debian and have just installed a system for the first time.
> I downloaded the DVD's yesterday, latest version. My problem is that my
> graphics card ASUS extreme ax600xt-td is not recogniced by XF86config.
> It's a radeon x600pro chip on the card but neither "ati" "r128" or
> "radeon" in XF86config will get it to work.
>
> On the same PC i have Mandriva with xorg and driver "ati" and it works
> perfect.

man ati.  Perhaps your card is not supported by Sarge's release of X.
Debian Etch (testing) contains xorg rather than xfree86, and this may be
of use.  However as you are new to Debian, I would advise you to stick
with stable and use the xorg backport.  Searching the archives of this
list should provide more information.

This is one of the problems with bleeding-edge hardware in Debian
Stable.  It's best to check, before you purchase, whether it is supported.

Of course, you could use the vesa driver if you're not fussy.  :)