Re: Grub and linux-source-2.6.12

On 26 Oct 2005, mikepolniak wrote:
> On 08:58 Wed 26 Oct     , Sebastian Canagaratna wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> >   I tried to upgrade to kernel 2.6.12 using linux-source-2.6.12. I am
> >   using unstable. The compilation goes fine, during which there is a
> >   message: Root device is (3,2)
> >
> >   I have my root partition in /dev/hda2. In the menu.lst for grub
> >   I have:
> >
> >   root (hd0,1)
> >   kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12 root=/dev/hda2
> >

> >   This is the same for the other kernels I have been using previously:
> >   2.4.27-2-686; 2.6.11 etc.
> >
> >   Now, however, when I boot up, there is a kernel panic, with the
> >   message Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (3,2).
> >
> >   I tried:
> >
> >   rdev /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12 /dev/hda2
> >
> >   and then tried to boot up, but I had the same problem. I do not have
> >   an initrd.img; The other two 2.6 kernels I used had an initrd.img, but
> >   they were precompiled kernels. Are the new kernels supposed to work
> >   only with an initrd.img or am I make some other mistake.
> >
> If you used the Debian .config to compile the new kernel its possible the
> kernel is not loading a module (normally found in initrd) you need for
> your ide or sata hard drive.
>
> You could make the new kernel again with --initrd which would work just
> like on the old kernels.
> Or compile the ide or sata driver you need into kernel (not as module) so
> it loads when you boot without the initrd.

I've just had exactly the same experience as the OP with 2.6.13.4. I
used the same .config file (updated) as I'd previously used for 2.6.13.3
and 2.6.13.2, which both worked, so nothing should have been left out.
The IDE stuff is certainly there.

I tried "make bzImage", thinking it might be something to do with
make-kpkg, but the same thing happened. Compiling a kernel with --initrd
also didn't work (the resultant .deb wouldn't install properly).

Yet another of the mysterious things that have happened for me recently
with making kernels.

Anthony
--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian