Re: Why don't I have /dev/inotify?

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 11:31:16AM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 11:23 +0930, David Purton wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I grabbed a 2.6.13.2 kernel off kernel.org and built it with these
> >
> >     CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
> >     CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR=y
> >     CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
> >     CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y
> >     CONFIG_INOTIFY=y
> >
> > But when I boot, I don't get a /dev/inotify device.

[SNIP]

> > Any suggestions?
>
> Yeah, its very new. A replacement for dnotify (which is good inotify ==
> 1 File Descriptor vs dnotify == a ka-jillion File Descriptors)

Hi Greg, thanks for your mail,

I found out what the problem is. There is no /dev/inotify now that
inotify support is part of the standard kernel. The interface is through
sys calls.

You need at least beagle 0.0.14 to be able to use it with a 2.6.13 kernel.
This was held up for a while but 0.1 has been in unstable for a week or so
now.

And it seems to work ok.

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a