Why don't I have /dev/inotify?

Hi,

I grabbed a 2.6.13.2 kernel off kernel.org and built it with these

    CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
    CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR=y
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y
    CONFIG_INOTIFY=y

But when I boot, I don't get a /dev/inotify device.

Things relating to inotify appear in /proc/sys/fs/inotify/, but that's
the only place. There is nothing even mentioned in /var/log/dmesg as
is suggested there should be in various places around the net. Nothing
in syslog or messages either.

What have I missed? Do I need to tweak anything in udev settings to make
this device appear?

Creating it by hand (mknod c 10 63  -- 63 seems to be the minor number
that most sites give, but they say that the actual number should appear
in dmesg) just creates a a handy "no such device" device.

Any suggestions?

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a