Re: WiFi Problems (It doesn't work properly)

Sorry, I'm late to the party.  Hopefully I won't be too stupid...

David R. Litwin wrote:

Did you try your applications once you had your connection up? They should
have worked as well.

They did not.

I suspect the problem is with the configuration you
have in /etc/network/interfaces. Or maybe the problem was with your WEP
configuration. Try recreating the configuration you applied in steps 1
through 3 in /etc/network/interfaces. Something like:

Well, maybe so and maybe not.

I don't know where he ping'ed (panged?), so I don't know if DNS was involved, so
I'll start assuming as little as possible.

1 - if 'ping' to a numeric IP address within your local wireless network works,
   then you've gotten connected to the local net fine, but you need to make
   sure DNS works:
2 - if 'ping' to a non-numeric IP address within your local wireless network subnet
   works, then you've got DNS working. Now
3 - if 'ping' to a NON-local IP address (by name OR by number, having established
   that DNS works) works, then you're 99% of the way home.
4 - NOW that we have established that IP networking is working right, THEN try
   your applications.

if 1 fails, then you may have route problems, or you may not actually be connected
to the (wireless) network.

if 2 fails (but 1 works) then you need a DNS server - check /etc/resolv.conf (or wherever
it is these days).

if 3 fails (but 1 and 2 works) then you almost certainly have a routing issue - you need a default route to the gateway. USUALLY you get this (and DNS server, by the way)
from your DHCP server.

The claim is that 1 (and maybe 2 and MAYBE even 3) works, but 4 doesn't.
If 1,2,3 work and 4 doesn't then we need to know more about the topology
and applications.  Maybe :-)

Now, as I say, I'm late to the party, so I could be less than helpful. However,
for OTHER people working on networking (not even just wireless!), the above
might prove helpful so I thought I'd throw it out. All the above happens once you get the wireless card to notice packets flying around (that's the first 90%,
the above is the other 90% ;-)

rc