Re: WiFi Problems (It doesn't work properly)

iwlist scan reports the networks within range.  The "Mode: Master" it reports
refers to the access point's mode of operation.  On the other hand, your
wireless adapter is correctly configured to run in "managed" to be a client
to the AP.

That would explain the discrepancy. Thank you.

1. Get the nic associate with the access point
  Try configuring the wireless settings manually with iwconfig
iwconfig eth1 enc off
iwconfig eth1 essid myessid
iwconfig eth1 channel mychannel
Now check the state of the card:
iwconfig eth1
You should see IEEE 802.11[abg] on the first line, instead of "unassociated".
See if you can arping your access point
arping -i eth1 <ip address, probably 192.168.0.1>

All of this works nicely. However, I need to set an IP before I can arping. Elsewise, it says that ath0 is not activated (or some such thing).

2. Configure the network device with ifconfig
ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.10
See if you can ping your access point
ping <ip address>

All of this works nicely. It seems that ping never stops: Is this so, for that is what was happening to me.

3. Now try configuring by dhcp
dhclient3 eth1
This should set your DNS server information as well.
Try pinging your access point again.
If that works, try pinging a site by name
ping www.google.ca

Again, all went well with this.

See how far you can get following these steps.

It seems to me that the problem is not with the connection, but rather with the applications. Could this be? What could this problem be? How do I correct it?

I thank you kindly.

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.