Re: backup compress on the fly

Rogério Brito wrote:
On Oct 03 2005, Mike McCarty wrote:

OTOH, if the whole image on tape is a compressed one, then tar or
gunzip or whatever is simply going to complain that the one (and only)
file in the compressed archive is corrupt and unrecoverable.

That's not really true when one uses bzip2, since it apparently has
"checkpoints" that bzip2recover can use in case of a disaster.

Even with bzip2, one may lose several files in the archive. But
with a straight tar or cpio, normally only one file gets lost.
If it is a text file, often what is corrupt can even be guessed
at closely enough to recover. With a compressed format, usually
at least one file is completely lost.

As I said, it is a *consideration*, and I recommend against using
compressed formats *for critical data*. I never did say anything
like "don't do that, it's dangerous".

In any case, I would heartily recommend using the package dvdisaster on
CDs/DVDs used for backup. A higher dose of redundancy makes one sleep
better.

Absolutely.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.