Re: backup compress on the fly

Alvin Oga wrote:

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Mike McCarty wrote:

most "large capacity" drives uses ECC which does support error correction
at least in the firmware and tape controllers to read the data
off the tape ..

So has every hard disc. But we still get disc errors, don't we?

but nobody said ecc will fix/prevent disk error ...

You really need to go back and read the thread, and what I was
replying to. I was responding to Ron Johnson. I made the comment
that using compressed images for backup runs somewhat more risk
of not being able to recover from medium read errors. Ron
replied with

What kind of tape drive doesn't put CRC data in each block?

My response was precisely that CRC can detect, but not correct
data. You are arguing against me as though I had taken a position
that CRC or FEC could prevent errors, when my position is the
exact opposite: One should *not* rely on CRC or FEC, one should
use archive formats which are robust in the face of errors,
correctable or otherwise.

[snip off-the-point argument]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.