Re: lvm Re: Want to move from root LVM/LILO to LVM/Grub

Alvin Oga wrote:

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Mike McCarty wrote:

And depending on how LVM/device-mapper is employed to map the root
partition, it would be *very* difficult for grub to do so.

I object to you quoting my message like this, and cutting
attributions. I did not write this.

lilo, syslinux, loadlin, etc  doesn't have the same whacky
problems/requirements/restricktions that grub imposes

you can always boot almost anything ..

I have yet to understand what advantage LVM gives me. Can anyone
explain why LVM was added, and what advantages/disadvantages
it has?

lvm ...
	- good for growing your FS ... if you had 10 GB disk and is 100%
	full, than you can in theory, add another 40GB disk
	and you'd now have more space

lvm ...
	- what a pain in the butt ...
	if any of the disk dies.. you lose everything

Brief, but informative. If I don't mind doing a separate mount,
and having to look into /media/somewhere/rest-of-path/...
rather than /home/somewhere/rest-of-path/... then I guess there
is no advantage to me.

Anyone else want to comment?

[snip]

	- disks will always be 100% full, no matter how big your PetaByte
	system is ..

Junk grows to fill all available space. The more useless
the junk, the faster it grows, the more fragmented it
is, and the harder it is to get rid of it.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.