Re: Sound on Opliplex GX150

Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 05:00:00AM -0700, mulvihill@tiscalinet.it wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does anyone have onboard sound working on a Dell Optiplex GX150?
> > Mine is completely mute apart from the PC speaker. (It also has
> > no sound in Windows so this could be a hardware problem.)
>
> Does Windoze say there is a device driver? If not, go to the Dell
> website, download audio driver for that model + platform, you'll need
> the s/n (should be on case somewhere). I think there are two to choose
> from, don't get the pci multimedia one. Install -- test h/w
>
> If the device driver seems ok to Windoze  -- poss h/w prob
>
> The local school had a Dell Optiplex GX150 donated to them from the
> University Library and there was no audio drivers installed, so its
> possible thats why Windoze is silent in your case.
>
> Sorry I can't help with the Linux side of things, I didn't get a chance
> to venture there. The school ditched Linux a few years ago cause of
> printing problems and hassles with the isp :-(
>
> --
> Chris.
> ======
> Reproduction if desired may be handled locally. -- rfc3
>

> --

Thanks Chris for your suggetions. Windows did say there was a driver
installed. I tried replacing this with the "Analog devices AD1885
Integrated Audio" driver from the Dell website (the first one on the
list when you put in Opliplex GX150 and Windows 2000). When that didn't
work I switched back to Linux because I am more familiar with Linux
than WIndows.

I was rather hoping someone would point out something silly I had
missed. Like when I bought a second hand Toshiba laptop and didn't
notice it had a tiny volume control knob on the front!

Ben