Re: ftp fails first time when using apt-get

Daniel McBrearty wrote:
Daniel,

First check manual if your router succesfully make a connection to the internet. I've used those D-link before on belgian internet providers and sometimes it's hard to get it connected. Especially check the ATM PVC properties, they differ depending the provider you use. When you think your modem made a correct connection, try to ping something on the internet using the ipadres. You could try `ping 194.109.137.218` which is www.debian.org. If this works correct, try the dns-server your router provides. Somewhere on the status page, there must be a dns provided by your provider. On scarlet it should be something like `ping 193.74.208.137`. Once this is working, try to query the dnsserver of your provider using dig or host like `host www.scarlet.be 193.74.208.137` If you get correct answers, you can finish testing `host www.debian.org` which should return the ip of www.debian.org querying the nameservers provided by your /etc/resolv.conf

Hope it helps,

wim.

Hi Wim
Yes, basic network functionality is all fine - I am using theis machine for
several months now. DNS is fine under most circumstances, can ping most
histnames - it is just applications like ftp, telnet, ssh that don't seem to
able to make DNS.

Thanks for the help

Daniel

Hi,

As far as I know, if ping & nslookup works, everything should work fine. They normally use all the same libraries for resolving.
I think something else like a firewall is blocking your networkactivity.

wim.