Re: ftp fails first time when using apt-get

> Daniel,
>
> First check manual if your router succesfully make a connection to the
> internet.  I've used those D-link before on belgian internet providers
> and sometimes it's hard to get it connected.  Especially check the ATM
> PVC properties, they differ depending the provider you use.
> When you think your modem made a correct connection, try to ping
> something on the internet using the ipadres.  You could try `ping
> 194.109.137.218` which is www.debian.org.
> If this works correct, try the dns-server your router provides.
> Somewhere on the status page, there must be a dns provided by your
> provider.  On scarlet it should be something like `ping 193.74.208.137`.
> Once this is working, try to query the dnsserver of your provider using
> dig or host like `host www.scarlet.be 193.74.208.137`
> If you get correct answers, you can finish testing `host www.debian.org`
> which should return the ip of www.debian.org querying the nameservers
> provided by your /etc/resolv.conf
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> wim.

Hi Wim
Yes, basic network functionality is all fine - I am using theis machine for
several months now. DNS is fine under most circumstances, can ping most
histnames - it is just applications like ftp, telnet, ssh that don't seem to
able to make DNS.

Thanks for the help

Daniel