Re: Practical problems faced by new Debian user

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 07:24:44PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

> > Why are these inadequate tools still there if not to be used? I'm not
> > trying to be argumentative, I think it's a reasonable question. The
> > beautiful aptitude can be used on even a bare minimum command-line
> > installation on rock bottom hardware, so why keep all the superseded
> > antiquities when we've clearly moved on?
>
>     Because we haven't.  Aptitude, apt, synaptic all use what tool to do the
> installations?  dpkg
>
>     dpkg is nice to have around for when one needs some quick information
> (dpkg -L, dpkg -S).  It also does all the grunt work for the other tools.  Why
> replace that which works fine?  :)

True.  However, people need to realize that dpkg is a low level tool.
If we all went around using dpkg instead of a proper package management
tool, then we would end up in the Debian equivalent of RPM-hell.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto