Re: apt-get: Command not found.

James A. Donald:

> apt-get: Command not found.

Very strange. apt-get is not deprecated and it should be in /usr/bin.

> and manually starting the daemons with
> nmbd -D
> smbd -D

In Debian, for every daemon or service there is an init script in
/etc/init.d. All of them take at least the arguments 'start' and 'stop'.
So you can just say '/etc/init.d/samba start' (or 'restart' when it is
already running) and Samba should run fine.

> But then I wanted it to automatically start the daemons on reboot, and
> I had no idea how to do that.

This should be the default behaviour. If you are unsure, run
'update-rc.d samba defaults'to restore the default symlinks to the init
script in the directories for all the runlevels (/etc/rcX.d/).

> (Which might be a good thing, for all I know this is a really stupid
> way to install the daemons to be launched on startup.

:)

> I conjecture that apt-get has been replaced with some cool gui based
> configuration tool, and apt-get is no longer on the path.

It is. All of the fancy GUI programs rely on apt-get so it still has to
be there.

J.
--
I have been manipulated and permanently distorted.
[Agree]   [Disagree]