apt-get: Command not found.

I am a newbie to linux.  I recently installed Debian on a computer
that sits in a closet

So I ssh in.  I got Samba working fine, after tinkering with the
/etc/samba/smb.conf file to read:

[global]
        workgroup = workgroup
        netbios name = linux
        security = share
[shareRW]
        path =  /home/james/Documents/sharedRW
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

and manually starting the daemons with
nmbd -D
smbd -D

All was well

But then I wanted it to automatically start the daemons on reboot, and
I had no idea how to do that.

So I said to myself, "well, surely Debian knows how to do that", so
attempted to type

apt-get update
apt-get install samba smbclient

Only to get the surprising message: apt-get: Command not found.

(Which might be a good thing, for all I know this is a really stupid
way to install the daemons to be launched on startup.

I conjecture that apt-get has been replaced with some cool gui based
configuration tool, and apt-get is no longer on the path.

I recollect that when I access the computer with keyboard and monitor,
(which requires me to haul the computer out of the cupboard) I get
some stuff about updates, but when I access the KDE gui through vnc
and vncserver, I get a rather sparse screen that does not have that
update stuff on it.

I suppose there is some command I can give in the KDE gui that will
bring up some tool for updating and configuring debian or enable
apt-get?   But I may have  bring up the real kdegui, instead of the
curiously limited one I get from VNC server

my .vnc/xstartup file is
 unset SESSION_MANAGER
 exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
startkde &

Maybe there is something I can add to that file so my startup screen
is a bit more helpful?

Of failing that, maybe I should know how to startup daemons in linux
on bootup?

--
http://www.jim.com