Re: Aptitude erroneously thinks many packages are unused and wants to remove them.

On (01/08/05 19:17), Clive Menzies wrote:
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> From: Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk>
> Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 19:17:30 +0100
> Subject: Re: Aptitude erroneously thinks many packages are unused and wants to remove them.
>
> On (01/08/05 13:56), Bryan Donlan wrote:

> > > A better option is '+' - 'h' will disable updates.
> >
> > Correction, '=' will disable updates, 'h' doesn't do anything afaik
> >
> Yes, my bad .... I was thinking of what's displayed on the left ;(

D'oh, I don't know where my brain was.  The point about holding packages
'=' is that it's useful if you are getting conflicts and and dependency
problems.  Sometimes, upgrading a package will 'break' something else.
In this event 'holding' it should resolve the problem.

It is sometimes an iterative process.  Hold everything that is creating
any sort of problem and upgrade what's left.  Once that's completed go
back to the 'held' packages and try '+' one by one and watch the top for
'Broken n' where n is the number of broken packages.  As soon as
something 'breaks' examine the warnings on the broken package(s) and if
necessary 'hold' the package that caused the break.

Bear in mind that if you press 'g' to see the packages being upgraded,
you won't see which other packages have broken; press 'q' to get back to
the full list and then search for the broken packages:
/ ~b

Regards

Clive

--